Friday, October 05, 2007

Do I Have What It Takes?

Psalm 141; Matthew 10

Psalm 141 is a prayer. A desperate prayer for God to come quickly. The writer is asking for God to show up in a hurry and then to quickly ensure the write is of right mind before taking care of evildoers. Matthew 10 is the sending of the apostles. It names the twelve apostles and then consists of Jesus' instructions and sending off speech.

I find that personally I have often prayed a prayer somewhat like the one in Psalm 141. I have been in situations where I have nearly demanded that God show up quick and help me out. Of course this is extremely arrogant of me. Why should I think that a God who I have ignored for any length of time will be desiring to come rushing to my aid as soon as I call out for help. That certainly would not happen with a human. Fortunately God is not human and is loving and is indeed willing to come to my side. Which leads me to Matthew 10. My previous post, which was nearly a month ago, spoke of how I was going to give my all to Christ. Having been so inspired I went ahead and did so without consulting the next chapter in Matthew in which Jesus describes what that involves and what is expected. In this passage Jesus does not have the appearance of the meek and mild lamb but rather of stern military commander preparing troops for battle. Without trying to soften the truth to protect people from getting scared Jesus speaks very boldly about the hardships and persecutions that will be faced by those who claim allegiance to him. Verse 19 says, "but when they arrest you," there is no if in that statement and then verse 22 says, " all men will hate you because of me." Following Jesus is not something that can be taken lightly. Fortunately in my current situation I have the ability to follow Jesus with relative ease and secrecy. Jesus does not want people to follow him with secrecy. That is why he told his disciples to go and preach his message. This so called lamb of God, gentle and meek, says in verse 34, "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." The message of Jesus is one that goes against the norm. Half-hearted secretive following will not cut it.

This passage although filled with warnings of the perils of following Christ has not frightened me away but rather is kicked me in the butt. I am ready to follow. I realize that there are hardships coming. I realize there are those who will not accept me because of Christ. But what an honour to say that I am not accepted because of the one true Lord. Although there may be hard times ahead the message of Jesus is one that must be shared. Jesus concludes this speech with some relief. In verse 42 it reads, "And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward." So today I am choosing to boldly represent Jesus in my life. I have chosen to give him my all and I have now read the conditions of such commitment. For my Jesus I will suffer and serve. Bold words but now let's put them into action.

Dear God,

It is so easy for me to speak boldly and proudly once a month in the anonymity of the internet. However that is not enough for me anymore, because I realize that it has never been enough for you. I know that when you called me to serve you that you wanted me to truly serve you. You wanted all of me. Why am I living my life if I am not living it for you? God it is scary to think about what might lie ahead of me, but I know that you are bigger than anything I can face and that you will always be by my side. Please help me know to always be by your side. Give me the wisdom to focus on you at all times and the courage to live for you regardless of what others may think. You are worth it and I want to prove that with my life. Take my hand and lead me on.

Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home