Thursday, November 08, 2007

Preparation 2

Psalm 139; Matthew 16

Psalm 139 is a very well known Psalm. This is a Psalm that is probably even recognized by those who have never read the Bible. This Psalm speaks of the omnipresence of God. It speaks of how there is nowhere that a person can go to get away from God and at the same time there is nowhere that they will be abandoned by God. In Matthew 16 Jesus faces another test from the Pharisees. After this test Jesus begins to discuss with the disciples who he really is and he also tells them of his impending death.

The omnipresence of God is an interesting characteristic. It can be what people sometimes describe as a double-edged sword. On one hand it can be very comforting to know that no matter where we are or what we are doing or what situations that we are facing that God will always be and is always there. What comfort and security can be found in that! Having said that, it can also be looked at from the perspective that there is no escaping God. If ever we want to do something that we know may not be exactly what God wants us to do there is nowhere that we can go to hide from God. Jonah learned this first-hand. He ended up in the belly of a big fish! It means that if we tell God that we are going to follow him and obey him and give him our lives that there is really no room for any hypocrisy in that. What we say we are going to do and what we do had better be the same because God sees it all! When this psalm is read in conjunction with Matthew 17 it is easy to see and to focus on the benefit of having an omnipresent God. Jesus begins the chapter by telling the Pharisees that they will not receive a sign and then he instructs his disciples to beware the teachings of the Pharisees. This is an interesting instruction from Jesus because all along he has been with his disciples and has been there to refute the teachings of the Pharisees. All the disciples had to do was to sit back and watch. Not too hard. Except this time. This time Jesus warns them to be on their guard against the teachings of the Pharisees. The only reason that he would do this would be because he is no longer going to be with the disciples. Just as Jesus prepared himself for times of great faith demonstrations he is now preparing his disciples for times of great faith demonstrations. He takes the time to ensure that they really do know and understand who he is and what he has been doing with them. He tells them that he is going to die. This is a time when Jesus understands that the disciples need to be prepared for when he is no longer walking on the earth with them. The disciples training is ending and it is now time for them to get to work.

In my life this has an interesting application. If I am going to sit and be trained and learn from God but never take what I am learning and use it in my life, if I never live out in the world what God teaches me in my times of training then I am really not doing what he has asked me to do. I can sit here at the computer and type out great ideas and sound so spiritual and like it is all together. But if I am not living out and practically applying my lessons to my life then it is all for not. Being a Christian is not a theoretical relationship with God. It is a real relationship with real life impact and real consequences. God has called me to actively live for him and to take what I am learning and to share it. So here goes.

Dear God,

It is scary sometimes. You ask me to do hard things. You ask me to do things that I am not comfortable with. I know that I can trust that no matter where I am and no matter what I am doing that you will be there with me, but I am still nervous. I have been taught a number of lessons by you and I look forward to being taught more. Now though even as I am still learning I must take you out of the safety of my home and into the real world with me. The lessons that I have learned and shared here must be learned and shared with the people I meet. I ask that you will drive me out of my comfort zone....this is a scary prayer because I can only imagine the potential that a prayer like that holds.....but do drive me out of the comfort of my home. Help me to embrace the opportunities that you place before me to share you and your love and the lessons that you have taught me. Help me to do so with a positive attitude and with a trust in you that will comfort my fears and my nerves. Lord, I have committed myself to serve you, so let's get at it!

Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home