Friday, January 04, 2008

God is Bigger Than the Boogey Man

Psalm 68; Matthew 17

Psalm 68 is described as a psalm of David. Throughout this psalm David expresses how majestic and big God really is. He goes on at length to declare that there is nothing that can compare with the true majesty of God. Matthew 17 displays this greatness. The chapter begins with the description of the transfiguration, then Jesus heals a boy with a demon and the chapter concludes with what is described as the miracle of the temple tax.

When Matthew 17 is read along with Psalm 68 it becomes very difficult to argue with the greatness of God. It is apparent that David was right and that the rules and parameters of our world really cannot contain God. I cannot imagine what it would have been like for the disciples who witnessed the transfiguration. All of a sudden they see Jesus joined by what can be called the "greats" of the Bible. Elijah and Moses are standing there talking with Jesus. However it happened the disciples were able to identify these men they had not met in person. The experience was so surreal that they offered to build shelters for all three men. Looking back it seems like somewhat of a silly offer but I am not sure I would not have done the same thing in the same situation. Then as quickly as it happened it was over. a moment to be kept and treasured for the disciples. Jesus continues to display the lack of restrictions on God when he heals a boy with a demon and then tells the disciples that they could tell mountains to move if they had even a small amount of faith. Finally Jesus suggests that being the Son of God should exempt him from the tax but he decides to pay it to avoid offending people. He does prove his point though by causing the money for the tax to come out of the mouth of a fish.

As there does not seem to be any sense denying the greatness and the majesty of God I must apply this truth to my life. I cannot cause myself to become a better Christian and I cannot cause myself to have a better spiritual life. I cannot be the centre of worship. I especially cannot be the centre of my life. As a Christian I have an obligation to focus on God and the greatness of God. As a Christian I have a responsibility to truly put faith in God and not merely say that I am going to put my faith in Him. When I pray I must pray with the expectation and the faith that God will answer my prayers. If I have faith enough to pray expecting God to answer I trust that through that faith God will give me wisdom regarding what I should pray. Today I begin to have faith in God (that is different from saying today I will start to believe in God. That has been the case for as long as I can remember) and stop merely saying that I will put my faith in him.

Dear God,

I trust you. I know that you are bigger and better than anything or any person I can comprehend. Today I begin to pray to you with the respect you command and with the faith that you ask for. Today I put you at the centre. My life is not about me and about what I want but it is about you and what you are capable of and what you desire. Thank you for the opportunity to be a part of such an awesome life.

Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home